The 10 highest mountains in Africa are distributed comparatively clearly across three mountain regions in the eastern half of the continent near the equator. Two of the four highest top peaks in Africa rise to over 5000 meters in the Kilimanjaro Mountains, which are part of the East African state of Tanzania. In Tanzania’s neighboring state Kenya, the Mount Kenya massif, which also belongs to the small group of the African 5000m, with Batian as the highest peak, is impressive. The next largest among the 10 highest mountains in Africa can be found in the Ruwenzori Mountains, which extend in the border area of Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (until 1997: Zaire).
Tanzania’s giant mountains in Kilimanjaro
The world-famous Kilimanjaro Mountains, stretching over almost 5000 square kilometers in the north of Tanzania, are one of the most photographed natural beauties on the African continent. The volcanic massif, which enjoys special protection as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is estimated to be 2.5 million years old. The Kilimanjaro massif experienced its last major volcanic eruption about 300,000 years ago. Volcanic forces continue to work in the lava area below the surface.
Since a minor eruption around 1700, the highest peak of Kilimanjaro, the 5895 m towering Kibo (Kiswahili: “The Bright One”) has been considered extinct. The tip of the Kibo, which is crowned by glaciers (still) shining far into the surrounding area, was built in 1962 on the occasion of the declaration of independence Tanzania’s also called “Uhuru Peak” (“Freedom Peak”). Until then, this highest point in Africa was called “Kaiser-Wilhelm-Spitze” as a result of long-gone German colonial rule. Kibo, which is not a great challenge for mountaineers, is about 10 km long saddle ridge with the neighboring summit Mawenzi (“The Dark One”).Like the Kibo in its upper area, the glacier-less Mawenzi is characterized by frost rubble desert geology.
Kenya’s symbol mountain range Mount Kenya with the batian
The Mount Kenya massif (Masai: “Kinyaa” = “black and white mountain”) rises in central Kenya about 150 km northeast of Nairobi in the immediate vicinity of the equator.
Like the Tanzanian Kibo, the extinct volcanic massif of Mount Kenya, from which the state of Kenya took its name, fascinates with its extremely rare glacier zones near the equator between the towering peaks, of which the Batian is the highest. At 5,199 m, the Batian is not only the highest Mount Kenya mountain, but also belongs as the second highest peak in Africa like K 2 and Dufourspitze to the “Seven Second Summits”, the group of the second highest mountains of the seven continents.
In the approximately 100 square kilometer central area of the Mount Kenya massif rise above the tree line at 3200 m with the peaks Nelion (5189 m) and Lengana (4985 m), as well as the Pigott ( 4958 m) three more top ten mountain giants in Africa.
The four Ruwenzori representatives of the 10 highest mountains in Africa
Like Kilimanjaro and Mount Kenya, the Congolese-Ugandan border mountains Ruwenzori have become part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site because of their ecological importance. The mountain range is named after the name for “rainmaker” in the language of the Ugandan batoro. Mount Stanley, rising exactly on the border of Uganda and DR Congo, with its twin peaks Margherita Peak (5109 m) and Alexandra Peak (5019 m) is considered the highest mountain in the range and the highest non-volcanic mountain in Africa.
Like Mount Stanley, the next higher Ruwenzori Mountains Mount Speke (4890 m), Mount Baker (4844) (both Uganda) and Mount Emin (4789 m) (DR Congo) are named after European explorers. Mount Emin got its name after the Prussian Africa explorer Eduard Schnitzer (Mehmed Emin Pascha) (1840-1892). All the giant mountains of the Ruwenzori Mountains, rising above the tree line of 4000 m, had large glaciers throughout until the beginning of the 20th century. Its scope has decreased dramatically since then. The glacier of Mount Emin has already completely disappeared, only Mount Stanley still has glacier regions of greater importance.
- Africa Annual Rainfall
- Asia Environment and Geography
- Bhutan Travel Package
- Botswana Classic Wilderness Camps
- Denmark History
- Flights Accommodation and Movement in Russia
- History of Latin America
- Independent Syria
- Madagascar Travel Package
- Mexico Travel Package
- Peru As a Tourism Country
- Regions in Asia
- St Lucia As a Tourist Country
- Travel Destinations in France
- Travel in The Middle East
- Hells Canyon in Oregon August 9, 2022 - Hells Canyon is a 10-mile (16 km) wide gorge along the border of eastern Oregon, east of Washington and west of Idaho in the United States. It is part of… Read more
- Algeria Fast Facts August 2, 2022 - Algeria is located in northern Africa and is one of the two largest countries on this continent. The main part of the population lives in the north of the country… Read more
- Hungary Fast Facts July 26, 2022 - Located in east-central Europe, Hungary borders Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania and Serbia. The traditional country has great cuisine, beautiful landscapes and many impressive sights. See andyeducation.com for education in… Read more
- Belgium Fast Facts July 19, 2022 - Belgium is one of the smallest countries in Europe. It borders the Atlantic Ocean to the west and the Ardennes to the south-east. Neighboring countries are the Netherlands, Luxembourg, France… Read more
- Barbados Fast Facts July 12, 2022 - Barbados is the easternmost island of the Lesser Antilles and lies in the Atlantic Ocean about 800 kilometers northwest of the South American coast. The country belongs to the Commonwealth… Read more
- Portland, Oregon July 5, 2022 - Liveable city in nature According to liuxers, the city of Portland, Oregon is located in the north-west of the USA, north-west in Oregon, at the confluence of the Willamette River… Read more
- Las Vegas – Gambling City in Nevada June 28, 2022 - Desert city with water shortage According to Acronymmonster, Las Vegas in Nevada is known all over the world as a gambling city. Casino after casino follows hotel along the "Las… Read more
- Point Loma Lighthouse, San Diego June 21, 2022 - Point Loma Lighthouse (San Diego, USA) - exposure, opening hours, address, phone numbers, official website. The old lighthouse, located on the Point Loma Peninsula, is within the Cabrillo National Monument.… Read more
- Memphis, Tennessee June 14, 2022 - Guide to Memphis: how to get there and where to stay, what to see and where to go in the evening. Highlights of Memphis: fresh reviews and photos, places to… Read more
- Santa Fe, New Mexico June 7, 2022 - Guide to Santa Fe, USA: how to get there and where to stay, what to see and where to go in the evening. Best things to do in Santa Fe,… Read more