According to homethodology, Mountainair, New Mexico is a small village located in the Manzano Mountains of Central New Mexico. It has a population of approximately 1,200 people and is situated at an elevation of 6,500 feet. The area is known for its mild climate and abundant sunshine. Summers are hot and dry with temperatures reaching over 100°F in July and August. Winters are mild with occasional snowfall.
The town has a rich history that dates back to the late 1800s when it was established as an agricultural community by settlers from Spain and Mexico. In the early 1900s, Mountainair became a railroad hub and saw increased growth as more people moved to the area to work in the mining industry. Today, Mountainair is a popular tourist destination due to its scenic views of the Manzano Mountains and its proximity to nearby cities like Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Las Cruces.
Politically, Mountainair is part of Torrance County in New Mexico’s 2nd Congressional District which is represented by Congressman Xochitl Torres Small (D). The economy of Mountainair is largely based on tourism but there are also some small businesses located in town such as restaurants and gas stations.
Education in Mountainair is provided by five public schools including Mountainair Elementary School and Estancia High School. There are also several private schools located nearby including Immaculate Heart Catholic School which serves grades K-8.
Notable landmarks include the historic Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument which features three ancient Spanish missions built between 1617-1626; the Manzano Mountains State Park which offers camping, hiking trails, fishing, birding; and Otero Canyon which features stunning views of the surrounding mountainside.
Population: 1,116. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,078 (-3.4% change)
Males: 521 (46.7%), Females: 595 (53.3%)
Zip code: 87036
Median resident age: 37.7 years
Median household income: $21,146
Median house value: $52,100
Races in Mountainair:
- Hispanic (53.1%)
- White Non-Hispanic (41.8%)
- Other race (29.5%)
- Two or more races (5.6%)
- American Indian (3.3%)
- Black (1.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (8.4%), United States (7.9%), English (6.5%), Scotch-Irish (3.5%), Irish (3.0%), Scottish (2.3%).
Elevation: 6499 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Mountainair, New Mexico is a small rural town located in the high desert of Central New Mexico. The population of Mountainair is 1,541 people according to the 2019 U.S. Census, making it a small but tight-knit community. The majority of Mountainair’s population are Hispanic or Latino at 67%, followed by White at 26%, and Native American at 6%.
The cost of living in Mountainair is quite low compared to other parts of the country. Housing costs in particular tend to be quite affordable, with median home values sitting around $80,000 and median rent for a two-bedroom apartment coming in around $650 per month. Transportation costs are also relatively low due to the town’s small size and lack of public transportation options; owning a car is essential here. Groceries and other essential household items remain fairly affordable as well, making Mountainair an attractive option for those looking for an affordable place to live while still being close enough to larger cities like Albuquerque and Santa Fe for easy access.
For population 25 years and over in Mountainair
- High school or higher: 71.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 7.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mountainair town
- Never married: 21.5%
- Now married: 48.7%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 13.8%
- Divorced: 12.6%
2.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +188 (+20.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Mountainair:
- LOVELACE HEALTH SYSTEMS INC (about 45 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
- PHS INDIAN HOSPITAL (about 47 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
- PRESBYTERIAN HOSPITAL (about 47 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mountainair:
- ALBUQUERQUE INTL SUNPORT (about 44 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Abbreviation: ABQ)
- SIERRA BLANCA REGIONAL (about 89 miles; RUIDOSO, NM; Abbreviation: SRR)
- HOLLOMAN AFB (about 116 miles; ALAMOGORDO, NM; Abbreviation: HMN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mountainair:
- MOUNTAINAIR MUNI (about 3 miles; MOUNTAINAIR, NM; Abbreviation: Q04)
- ESTANCIA MUNI (about 22 miles; ESTANCIA, NM; Abbreviation: E92)
- MORIARTY (about 37 miles; MORIARTY, NM; Abbreviation: 0E0)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mountainair:
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 47 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 47 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 50 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
- NEW MEXICO HIGHLANDS UNIVERSITY (about 110 miles; LAS VEGAS, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,278)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 158 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 12,562)
- NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY-DONA ANA (about 158 miles; LAS CRUCES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,380)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT EL PASO (about 190 miles; EL PASO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 12,071)
Public high school in Mountainair:
- MOUNTAINAIR HIGH (Students: 176; Location: 512 SOUTH ROSS; Grades: 07 – 12)
Private high school in Mountainair:
- NEW BEGINNINGS CHRISTIAN ACADE (Students: 31; Location: P O BOX 657; Grades: KG – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Mountainair:
- MOUNTAINAIR ELEM (Students: 193; Location: 405 WEST BROADWAY; Grades: PK – 06)
Library in Mountainair:
- MOUNTAINAIR LIBRARY (Operating income: $35,088; Location: 110 ROOSEVELT AVE. P.O. BOX 100; 1,295 books; 1 audio materials; 355 video materials; 5 serial subscriptions)