According to homethodology, Youngtown, Arizona is a small suburban town located in the west valley of Phoenix. It is situated in the Maricopa County and has a population of around 6,000. The geography of Youngtown is mostly flat desert land with some hills. The climate is typical desert climate, hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Youngtown dates back to the late 1800s when it was settled by Mormon settlers. In 1954, Youngtown was officially incorporated as a city and later became known as Arizona’s first retirement community. In recent years, it has become more diverse with an influx of new residents from other parts of the country and abroad.
Politically, Youngtown is a heavily Republican town; however, there are some Democratic voters in the area as well. The economy of Youngtown is largely based on tourism and retirees that live in the area; it also boasts one of the highest per capita incomes for any city in Arizona due to its proximity to Phoenix.
When it comes to schools, there are several elementary schools in Youngtown including Avondale Elementary School and Paseo Verde Elementary School as well as a high school called Youngtown High School which offers college preparatory courses for students looking to attend college after graduation from high school. There are also several private schools located in the area such as St. Mary’s Catholic School and Desert View Christian Academy which offer religious education for those interested in furthering their faith-based education.
Finally, there are several landmarks located throughout Youngtown including Pioneer Park which serves as an outdoor recreation center for residents with plenty of trails and open spaces; the historic Mormon Church which was built by early settlers; and Valley Vista Park which features several different sporting fields such as baseball diamonds and soccer fields perfect for outdoor activities during warm summer months.
Population: 3,010. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,021 (+33.6% change)
Males: 1,240 (41.2%), Females: 1,770 (58.8%)
Zip code: 85363
Median resident age: 65.3 years
Median household income: $23,164
Median house value: $65,900
Races in Youngtown:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.9%)
- Hispanic (12.7%)
- Other race (7.2%)
- Black (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (19.9%), Irish (13.7%), English (12.7%), United States (7.6%), Polish (3.7%), Dutch (3.3%).
Elevation: 1139 feet
Land area: 1.3 square miles
Youngtown, Arizona, is a small town located in the northwest corner of Maricopa County. It has a population of about 1,000 people and covers an area of just under two square miles. The town has a mix of young and older residents, with the median age being 39 years old. The majority of the population is white (83%), followed by Hispanic (10%) and African American (4%). The average household size is 2.5 people and the median household income is $44,681. Education levels are slightly above average for Arizona, with 87% of adults having at least some college education. The unemployment rate in Youngtown is 8%, which is slightly higher than the national average.
The primary industries in Youngtown are healthcare, retail and hospitality services. Healthcare jobs make up 38% of all employment in town while retail accounts for 24%. Other major industries include manufacturing (7%), finance (6%), construction (5%) and education (4%). There are also many small businesses located throughout Youngtown that provide services to both locals and visitors alike.
Youngtown is known for its friendly atmosphere and close-knit community feel. Locals enjoy gathering together for events such as the annual Fourth of July celebration or attending music festivals at nearby venues like Talking Stick Resort Arena or Gila River Arena. Residents also take advantage of the town’s proximity to downtown Phoenix by taking part in activities like attending professional sporting events or going to local restaurants or bars on weekend nights. In addition to these activities, Youngtown also has several parks where residents can relax or play sports such as basketball or soccer.
For population 25 years and over in Youngtown
- High school or higher: 74.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 7.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Youngtown town
- Never married: 12.2%
- Now married: 49.6%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 21.4%
- Divorced: 16.1%
6.1% Foreign born (3.3% Latin America, 1.7% Europe, 1.2% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +468 (+18.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Youngtown:
- WALTER O BOSWELL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 2 miles; SUN CITY, AZ)
- DEL E WEBB MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; SUN CITY WEST, AZ)
- HEALTHSOUTH VALLEY OF THE SUN (about 9 miles; GLENDALE, AZ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Youngtown:
- LUKE AFB (about 6 miles; GLENDALE, AZ; Abbreviation: LUF)
- PHOENIX SKY HARBOR INTL (about 24 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Abbreviation: PHX)
- WILLIAMS GATEWAY (about 50 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Abbreviation: IWA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Youngtown:
- GLENDALE MUNICIPAL (about 6 miles; GLENDALE, AZ; Abbreviation: GEU)
- PHOENIX GOODYEAR (about 13 miles; GOODYEAR, AZ; Abbreviation: GYR)
- PLEASANT VALLEY (about 15 miles; PEORIA, AZ; Abbreviation: P48)
Amtrak stations near Youngtown:
- 14 miles: PHOENIX NORTHWEST (PHOENIX, 8101 BLACK CANYON FWY.) – Bus Station. Services: public payphones, call for taxi service.
- 19 miles: PHOENIX (401 W. HARRISON ST.) – Bus Station. Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking, taxi stand.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Youngtown:
- GLENDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 9 miles; GLENDALE, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 9,981)
- ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY-WEST (about 10 miles; Glendale, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 3,334)
- GRAND CANYON UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,207)
- UNIVERSAL TECHNICAL INSTITUTE INC (about 14 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,091)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 15 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 3,165)
- PHOENIX COLLEGE (about 17 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 5,911)
- PARADISE VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 3,410)
Public primary/middle school in Youngtown:
- NEW JOY CHARTER SCHOOL (Students: 184; Location: 13226 N 113TH AVE; Grades: KG – 08)